ABOUT DR RABOOBEE
MBChB (Natal) 1983
FFDerm (SA) 1989
Senior lecturer - University of Kwa Zulu Natal, Medical School, Durban, South Africa: 1989 - 2014
Senior consultant dermatologist - King Edward VIII Hospital, Durban, South Africa: 1989-2014
Examiner for College of Medicine of South Africa
Private practice since 1990
President: National Vitiligo Society of South Africa
Board member: Global Vitiligo Foundation
Member: International working group on Vitiligo
Chairman: South African Psoriasis Guidelines Committee (2012)
Chairman: KZN Derm IPA 2010
Secretary: The South African Society for Dermatologic Surgery (2012-2013)
Chairman: The KZN Dermatology IPA (Independent Practioners Association) (2010)
Member of Exco: South African Dermatological Society
Member: South African Medical Association (SAMA)
Member: South African Medical and Dental Council
Member: American Academy of Dermatology
Member: European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (2020)
Member Board of Trustees Gordon Road Girls' School (2004-2008)
Member: Advisory Board - Fit Pregnancy magazine
Member: Advisory Board - Novartis.
Member: Advisory Board -Janssen
Member: Advisory Board - Sanofi
Member Advisory Board - Adcock Ingram
Member: Advisory Board - Abbvie
Editor: Skin Deep
Editor: Skin to Live In
Editor: Skin Peace
Guest Editor: Indian Journal of Dermatology and Venereology.
Reviewer: Journal of Dermatologic Therapy
Medical Advisor: SkinTECH (equipment supplier and distributor)
Biologics for psoriasis and atopic dermatitis
Basal cell carcinoma
Viral warts immunotherapy
Moles / mole mapping / melanoma
Overseas congresses attended:
1 World Congress of Dermatology
2 World Congress of Dermatology
New Delhi, India,1994
3 Regional Congress of Dermatology
4 53rd Annual Meeting of The American Academy of Dermatology
New Orleans, USA,1995
5 Differin Symposium
6 European Academy of Dermatology
7 12th Regional Congress of Dermatology
Pattaya, Thailand, 1996
8 Dermatology 2000
9 Regional Congress of Dermatology
10 19th World Congress of Dermatology
11 56th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology
12 World Congress of Dermatology
13 Northshore Hospital
Aukland, New Zealand,1999
14 World Congress of Dermatology
15 International Society of Dermatology
16 58th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology
San Francisco, USA, 2000
17 Differin Symposium
Cannes, France, 2000
18 Ambassador's Programme
Beijing, China, 2000
19 Scar symposium
Hamburg, Germany, 2001
20 Eczema Symposium
Valetta, Malta, 2001
21 Congress of European Academy of Dermatology
Munich, Germany, 2001
22 Botox Syposium
Paris, France, 2002
23 World Congress of Dermatology
Paris, France, 2002
24 61st Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology
San Francisco, 2003
25 Scar symposium
Frankfurt, Germany, 2003
26 Paediatric Dermatology Congress
Rome, Italy, 2004
27 Sunscreen Symposium
Marseilles, France, 2004
Florence, Italy, 2004
29 63rd Annual meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology
New Orleans, USA, 2005
30 World Congress of Skin Cancer
Vienna, Austria, 2005
31 Antihistamine summit
Warsaw, Poland, 2005
32 Annual Congress of Dermatology
Hyderabad, India, 2006
33 International Congress of Dermatologic Surgery
Istanbul, Turkey, 2006
34 European Academy of Dermatology
Rhodes Island, Greece, 2006
35 Annual meeting of Dermatologic Surgery
Venice, Italy, 2007
36 Annual meeting of the Israeli Dermatological Society
Tel Aviv, 2007
37 World Congress of Dermatology
Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2007
38 Skin symposium
Copenhagen, Denmark, 2008
39 International Congress of Cosmetic Dermatology
Lisbon, Portugal, 2008
40 READY program Biologics in Psoriasis
Rome, Italy, 2008
41 EADV Paris, France 2008
42 International Vitiligo meeting
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2008
43 IMCAS Symposium
Agra, India, 2008
Jedda, Saudi Arabia 2009
World Psoriasis Conference June 2009
Scholars Club meeting on biologics June 2009
18th Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology (EADV). October 2009
IMID meeting. February 2010
49 Perth, Australia
Solo lecture tour
50 Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Jeddahderm. March 2010
51 Vienna, Austria
Psoriasis meeting. May 2010
52 Guanzou, China
Vitiligo conference. Asian Society of Pigmentary Diseases. June 2010
53 Kerala, India
Pigmentary disease conference. January 2011
54 Seoul, Korea
World Congress of Dermatology. May 2011
55 National Dermatology Congress - Teheran, Iran, 2012
56 American Academy of Dermatology - Miami, Florida, February 2013
57 American Academy of Dermatology - Denver, Colarado March 2014
58 European Academy of Dermatology (EADV) - Amsterdam, Holland, Oct 2014
59 American Academy of Dermatology - San Francisco, March 2015
59 World Congress of Dermatology, Vancouver, Canada, June 2015
60 Annual congress of the Nigerian Association of Dermatologists - Guest faculty - 15 September 2015
61. Urticaria meeting - Dubai November 2015
62. International Congress Dermatology Cosmetic and Laser
Teheran, Iran 15-17 April 2016
63. Vitiligo Masterclass, Hyderabad, India 9-10 September 2016
64. 15th Pan Arab league of Dermatology Congress & 4th Palestinian International Congress- Ramallah, Palestine 8 November 2016.
65. Vitiligo International Symposium - Rome, Italy 1-3 December 2016
66. Vitiligo Masterclass - Rome Italy 4 December 2016
67. Beirut, Lebanon 23 - 30 Sept 2017
Excimer laser symposium
68. International Dermatology, Venereology and Aesthetic Conference, Chandigarh, India. December 2018
69. American Academy of Dermatology Meeting Feb 2018, San Diego, USA
70. Dermatology and Allied Sciences Conference - New Delhi, India June/July 2018.
71. European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology - Paris, France September 2018
72. Dermatologic Aesthetic Surgery International League - Buenos Aires, Argentina. October 2018.
73. Acsicon: Association of Cutaneous Surgeons of India Conference, New Delhi April 2019.
74. Aesthetic and Dermatological Conference Bangkok, Thailand - May 2019
75. World Congress of Dermatology - Milan, Italy
76. Dermx Hong Kong - Psoriasis and Atopic Dermatitis
77. Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology Madrid Spain October 2019
78. Psoriasis Masterclass - Toulouse, France October 2019.
79. Pigmentarycon - Kolkata India November 2019
80. Saudiderm - Makkah, Saudi Arabia. January 2020. Invited faculty member. (Last congress before lockdown)
Publications and presentations at international conferences.
1. Raboobee N: Urticaria - Aetiology and treatment. Diseases of the skin. November 1993, p25 - p33
2. Raboobee N: Diagnostic techniques in Eczema. Primary Care & Diagnosis. Supplement to the Medical Chronicle. February 1995, p7 - p8
4. Raboobee N: Onychomycosis. Supplement to MIMS - March 1997
5. Raboobee N: The treatment of psoriasis with Calcipotriol. 5 year follow up of 12 patients. Presented as poster presentation in Sydney Australia 1997.
6. Raboobee N: The Treatment of Onychomycosis. Specialist Medicine - April 1997
7. The use and Abuse of Topical Steroids. Sunday Tribune - 26.4.97
8. Acne grading guide. Poster produced by Lederle Laboratories in 1992. Co authored by Dr David Presbury and Dr Robert Weiss
9. Tinea pedia et unguium - a community study
Poster presentation, Vancouver, Canada - Dermatology 2000 Congress Co-authors: Dr Jamila Aboobaker, Dr AK Peer
Abstract No 54 - Fourth Annual International Summit on Cutaneous Antifungal Therapy May 26 - 28, 1996, Vancouver Canada
Oral presentation - Dermatology 2000, Vancouver, Canada
Raboobee N, Aboobaker J, Peer AK:
Tinea pedis et unguium in the Muslim community of Durban, South
Africa. Int J Dermatol 1998 Oct;37(10):759-65
10. Raboobee N: Indications of the new anti-fungal agents in the treatment of Superficial fungal agents. Glenbar Publications. State of the Art Dermatology.
July/ August 1996
11. Atlas of 26 before and after pictures of patients treated with 13 cis-retinoic acid. Published by Roche pharmaceuticals.
12. Gupta AK, Alexis ME, Raboobee N, Hofstader SLR, Lynde CW, Summerbell RC, De Doncker P: Itraconazole pulse therapy is effective in the treatment of tinea capitis in children - An open multicenter study. British Journal of Dermatology, 1997;137:251-254.
13. Gupta AK, Alexis ME, Raboobee N, Lynde C, Hofstader SLR, Summerbell RC, De Doncker P: The use of itraconazole pulse therapy in the treatment of tinea capitis. Australasian Journal of Dermatology 1997; 38 (Suppl 2): 95.
14. Gupta AK, Alexis ME, Raboobee N, Lynde C, Hofstader SLR, Summerbell RC, De Doncker P: The use of itraconazole pulse therapy in the treatment of tinea capitis. 19th World Congress of Dermatology, Sydney. Australia, June 15-20, 1997.
15. Gupta AK, Nolting S, Adam P, Hofstader SLR, Alexis ME, Solomon R, Raboobee N, Lynde CW, Del Rosso JQ, Aly R, Degreef H, Summerbell RC, De Doncker P. Itraconazole for tinea capitis: experience with continuous and pulse therapy. Fifty-sixth Annual American Academy of Dermatology Meeting, Orlando, FL, February 27 - March 4, 1998.
16. Raboobee N: The development of keloids during the use of oral 13-cis retinoic acid. Annales de dermatologie et de venereologie. Hors Serie Juillet 2002. P0058. Presented at the World Congress of Dermatology - Paris - 2002
17. Raboobee N: The treatment of Hydroquinone induced ochronosis with the Luxar CO2 laser. Annales de dermatologie et de venereologie. Hors Serie Juillet 2002. P1240. Presented at the World Congress of Dermatology - Paris - 2002
18. Raboobee N: The treatment of Superficial Basal Cell Carcinoma with topical Imiquimod. Annales de dermatologie et de venereologie. Hors Serie Juillet 2002. P2135. Presented at the World Congress of Dermatology - Paris - 2002
19. Raboobee N: The use of Ultraviolet light in Dermatology. Dermatology Review Autumn 2002, vol 2, no. 2, p 22-27
20. Raboobee N: Allergic contact dermatitis to PPD following application of henna tattoo.
21. Raboobee N. The use of Candida Antigen in the treatment of Viral Warts. Poster presentation. World Congress of Skin Cancer. Vienna, Austria. May 2005
22. Raboobee N: The treatment of Actinic Keratoses with Imiquimod. Poster presentation. World Congress of Skin Cancer. Vienna, Austria. May 2005
23. Raboobee N: Photodynamic therapy for the treatment of viral warts, basal cell carcinoma and actinic keratoses. Hyderabad, India. February 2006. Oral presentation.
24. Raboobee N: Viral warts immunotherapy. Hyderabad, India. February 2006 Oral presentations
25. Raboobee N: Imiquimod in 21 superficial basal cell carcinomas. February 2006. Hyderabad, India. 2006. Poster presentation.
26. Raboobee N: Immunotherapy of viral warts. Rhodes, Greece. October 2006
27. Raboobee N: Treatment of Basal Cell Carcinoma . Rhodes, Greece. October 2006.
28. Suction blister grafting for vitiligo. Lisbon, Portugal 2008
29. Excimer laser poster. Paris. France, 2008
30. The use of excimer laser in dermatology. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia 2008
31. Excimer laser worshop. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. March 2009
32. MF Sacoor, N Raboobee. The treatment of keloids with Bleomycin. Poster presentation - EADV Berlin. October 2009
33. The use of imiquimod for actinic keratoses - Sir Charles Gardiner and Royal Perth Hospitals, Perth, Australia. February 2010
34. What’s New in Vitiligo. The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia. February 2010
35. Phototherapy - what’s new - Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. March 2010
36. Disorders of pigmentation - Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. March 2010
37. New developments in Vitiligo - Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. March 2010
38. What’s new in onychomycosis - Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. March 2010
39. Treatment of viral warts - Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. March 2010
40. Treatment of hyperpigmentary disorders - Kerala, January 2011
41. Classification of vitiligo consensus meeting - Seoul, Korea - May 2011
42. An update on phototherapy - Dermatology Review - 2014
43. Cryotherapy update - Skin Deep
44. Biologics for Chronic Spontaneous Urticaria - skin Deep
45. Mechanism of Repigmentation following needling in Vitiligo - 23rd World Congress of Dermatology, Vancouver, Canada - June 2015. Poster no. 3000978
46. Annual congress of the Nigerian Association of Dermatologists - Guest faculty - 15 September 2015 - Workshop on vitiligo surgery
47. Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology - Copenhagen, Denmark - October 2015 - Needling in Vitiligo
48. Editorial for publication - Skin to Live in - March 2016
49. Non-cultured melanocyte grafting for vitiligo using suction blisters and trypsin. - International Congress Dermatology Cosmetic and Laser - Teheran, Iran 15-17 April 2016
50. Raboobee N, Raboobee M: Suction blisters and trypsin for non-cultured melanocyte grafting in vitiligo. Dermatology Review - August 2016
51. Treatment of keloids with intralesional cryotherapy
Dermatology Review - August 2016
52. Treatment of viral warts with Tuberculin PPD
Dermatology Review - August 2016
53. The ExSys 308 Excimer Light for vitiligo
Dermatology Review - August 2016
54. Vitiligo Masterclass, Hyderabad, India:
Excimer light and laser combined with needling for vitiligo.
Participation in Phototherapy Panel.
55. 15th Pan Arab league of Dermatology Congress & 4th Palestinian International Congress- Ramallah, Palestine 8 November 2016.
Excimer laser and light - Indications and comparison between different devices.
56. Non-cultured epidermal cell grafting in vitiligo using suction blisters and trypsin. Vitiligo International Symposium - Rome , Italy - 2-3 December 2016
57. State of Vitiligo practice in South Africa. Vitiligo Masterclass. Hosted by World Vitiligo Foundation. Rome Italy 4 December 2016
58. Excimer laser training Beirut, Lebanon 29 September 2017. Training of group of Iraqi and Lebanese dermatologists on the use of Excimer 308 Light and laser.
59. Scar Symposium, Excimer laser and Tuberculin antigen treatment of viral warts - International Dermatology, Venereology and Aesthetic Conference, Chandigarh, India
60. Member of Faculty in panel discussion on surgical treatments in vitiligo. Presentation on Treatment of viral warts with immunotherapy. DAAS Conference New Delhi, India 29 June - 1 July 2018.
61. Vitiligo Update: Skin Peace July 2018
62. Excimer and Er:Glass lasers for the treatment of scars: Faculty member. Acsicon: Association of Cutaneous Surgeons of India Conference, New Delhi April 2019.
63. Immunotherapy of viral warts - Aesthetic and Dermatological Conference Bangkok, Thailand - May 2019
64. Antigenic treatments of viral warts - World Congress of Dermatology - Milan, Italy
65. Case presentations - Toulouse, France
i) Acute Generalised Exanthematous Pustulosis treated with the biologic medication Infliximab.
ii) Resistant psoriasis treated with Secukinumab.
iii) Vitiligo developing in a patient after receiving infliximab.
66. Pigmentarycon - Kolkata, India
The use of Excimer laser in the treatment of pigmentary conditions.
Photography for the dermatologist
67. 3rd Saudiderm - Makkah, Saudi Arabia
i) Immunotherapy of viral warts
ii) Treatment of acne scarring.
American academy of dermatology meeting
Denver, Colorado, USA 20-25 March 2020 (cancelled)
EADV - Vienna, Austria - November 2020 (cancelled)
International Congress Teheran Iran - October 2020 (cancelled)
All physical congresses for 2021 are on hold.
Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals
1. Management of Psoriasis in Africa and the Middle East: a Review of Current Opinion, Practice and Opportunities for Improvement.
The Journal of international medical research 39(5):1573-1588 · September 2011
2. Guidelines on the Management of Psoriasis in South Africa
South African medical journal = Suid-Afrikaanse tydskrif vir geneeskunde 100(4 Pt 2):257-82 · April 2010
3. Childhood atopic eczema consensus document
Article in South African medical journal = Suid-Afrikaanse tydskrif vir geneeskunde 95(6 Pt 2):435-40 · July 2005
4. Once weekly fluconazole is effective in children in the treatment of tinea capitis: A prospective, multicentre study
British Journal of Dermatology 142(5):965-8 · June 2000
5. Intermittent short duration therapy with fluconazole is effective for tinea capitis
British Journal of Dermatology 141(2):304-6 · August 1999
6. Tinea pedis et unguium in the Muslim community of Durban, South Africa
International Journal of Dermatology 37(10):759-65 · October 1998
7. Treatment of tinea capitis with itraconazole capsule pulse therapy
Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 39(2 Pt 1):216-9 · September 1998
8. Itraconazole pulse therapy is effective in the treatment of tinea capitis in children: An open multicentre study
British Journal of Dermatology 137(2):251-4 · September 1997
Current Allergy & Clinical Immunology, November 2004 Vol 17, No. 4
10. Management of Psoriasis in Africa and the Middle East: A Review of Current Opinion, Practice and Opportunities for Improvement
M Abdulghani, A Al Sheik, M Alkhawajah, A Ammoury, F Behrens, H Benchikhi, I Benkaidali, N Doss, A El Gendy, I Mokhtar, D Odendaal, N Raboobee, D Thaçi, R Weiss, D Whitaker
Journal of International Medical Research 39(5), 1573–1588.
11. Revised classification/nomenclature of vitiligo and related issues: the Vitiligo Global Issues Consensus Conference. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2012 May; 25(3): E1–13.
Authhors listed in appendix 1
12. Repigmentation in vitiligo: position paper of the Vitiligo Global Issues Consensus Conference (VGICC). Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2016 Nov 19.
13. Standardizing serial photography for assessing and monitoring vitiligo: A core set of international recommendations for essential clinical and technical specifications.
Journal of Am Acad Dermatol 2020 Dec;83(6):1639-1646.
Epub 2019 Oct 31.
June 2018: Radio Lotus - Vitiligo and common skin disorders
June 2018: Radio Hindvani - Vitiligo and other dermatological conditions
December 2018 Cape Talk -Vitiligo
December 2018 North West Radio - Vitiligo
June 2019: Visionview Sports Radio
June 2019: Radio Lotus
February 2020: Radio Lotus - Acne and pigmentation
June 2018: SABC 2 Victor Ramatesela's program - 1 hour
July 2018: SABC 2 Health talk - 1 hour
June 2019: SABC 2 Health Talk
Skin Signs of COVID-19
Teledermatology - how to start up and use
Biologic agents in psoriasis
Biologic agents in atopic dermatitis
Secukinumab for psoriasis
Tremfya for Psoriasis
April: Skin Signs of COVID-19
June: World Vitiligo Day meeting - 5 international speakers
July: Chairman - talk by Prof Andrew Blauvelt
Aug: When is your psoriasis patient eligible for a biologic.
Sept: Atopic Dermatitis - Launch of Dupilumab
Certificate in Graphic Design - UCT - 2018
Woodworking: Instagram: woodandawl
Coffee Blog: CoffeeSnob
Hand Painted ceramics by Dr N Raboobee.
Exhibited in Orlando, USA